Monday, January 19, 2009

Xena the Warrior Princess

For my women friends~
I was sorting our my address book and realized as I was making updates how many wonderful women I have the good fortune to know. In one of my (typical) moments of unbridled inspiration, I wrote this short piece for you:

When my five-year-old son Sam was an infant he needed to sleep on my stomach - for at least the first four months, which meant I literally did not sleep for four months. Which made it quite challenging and exhausting to go back to work 8 weeks after he was born, where after a triple latte each morning I began my work day managing/supervising Early Childhood, Adult Services, Marketing and Sports & Fitness at the Tucson Jewish Community Center. When I was up all night I used to watch "ABC World News Now" and I was very well informed, as well as "Zena the Warrior Princess", which came on at 3 a.m. After several months of watching Zena do stunts and flips to knock out all of the bad guys I became convinced, in my sleep deprived haze, that Zena was All Powerful, certainly more powerful than the Male Warriors. And I decided that that was what I would become, a Warrior Princess. That if I continued with my tai-chi (zen) like defensive posturing, keeping up my guard but leveling blows when necessary, all the while maintaining my spirit and zest, I would indeed be just as Powerful as the Men. And this methodology has served me well.

Just now Sam was watching the Power Rangers, and I was fascinated by the latest episode where the Male Ranger who is very attractive did not succeed in taking down the Female Monster with his charm. He was actually afraid to fight her. Then the Girl Ranger fought and won. Sam said he thought the Girl Ranger was much more powerful because she was just better at the stunts and sometimes smarter (just as smart) and certainly directive in her actions.

While I was the Chief Operating Officer of the JCC of Orange County I offered to help my Children's Director one day by taking over the mini-camp/doing direct service. I took the children into the gym and while the boys shot baskets, I did a cheerleading clinic with the girls, reclaiming some of my old cheerleading moves. Then the girls decided they wanted to be Princesses and began to do make believe/costume dress up/make up. But one of the little girls refused to do the make-believe/dress up but insisted she was indeed a Princess, a Most Powerful Princess. She was very petite and feminine and at 8 years old had a real sense of herself. Her name was Zena.

I said to her, "Zena, you are a Warrior Princess. You should always walk with your head up like you are doing now, look people squarely in the eyes, and be yourself." When her dad came to get her I told him how special I thought Zena was, and he acknowledged that he was indeed proud to be father of such a luminous and self-assured girl.

Sometimes I think about Zena. I hope that when she turns 14, and 21, and 31, and 40, when she faces the exciting and sometimes excruciating challenges that happen in Life during those stages when one is being honest, bold and themselves, that she conquers all of the obstacles, roadblocks and sometimes even demons that stand in her path, all the while maintaining her youthful luminescence and indomitable spirit. It is girls like Zena I remember when I myself get tired and feel like stopping. I think about all of the Zenas of the world who I have met, who are already on a path, who are teaching the world about unique feminine leadership, employing boldness, determination and inspiration, and maintaining their own sense of self as they emerge as Women in Leadership. For their sake alone I myself will never stop as I continue down the road, sometimes weary and sometimes energized, always holding the torch for the Zenas who follow close behind. Sometimes I do stop on the path but only to turn around and look for Zena for inspiration. And I recognize her - I see her and know that the day will come that I will hand her my own torch. And this makes the journey bearable, meaningful and even exhilarating.

With love to all of the Zenas who I know and will meet,
Carolyn

No comments:

Post a Comment